Sunday, September 13, 2009

Quick Dinner Salvadoran Style


Another quick dinner that's kid friendly, for those nights you just don't feel like cooking. I picked up these great cheese pupusas by Casa Sanchez at Costco but I imagine they must have them at other grocery stores as well. They're all natural with no preservatives which was a selling point for me. These were easily warmed up on a dry grill. These got the two kid ok, Aidan would prefer to eat left over pizza of course. I bet had there not been left over pizza he would have eaten it as well.

For adults (since my kids won't eat most veges) I made a "curtido" which is a traditional Salvadoran cabbage salad to serve with these. A quick and simple recipe:

1/2 head of cabbage chopped in fine strips
2 medium carrots peeled and shredded
2 jalapenos seeded and minced
3 radishes minced
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 cups of boiling water

In a glass bowl, I added 4 cups of boiling water to cabbage and carrots and let sit covered for approximately 5 minutes. Then I drained it and mixed with the rest of the ingredients and chilled for approximately 15 minutes. That's all there is to it. Delicious served over pupusas.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thrilled they have these at Costco, thanks for sharing! Now we don't have to go to Richmond to our favorite papusa place where it takes at least 40 minutes to get one papusa. Yummmm. what section where they in? Frozen?

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online