Thursday, September 10, 2009

Time To Think About Halloween Costumes

If you love Halloween the way I do, around this time you start thinking about costumes. I've been thinking about what the boys are going to be for Halloween this year. Am I going to make them? Or am I going to buy them? In the past years I've done both, I've made some and bought some. Some have been successes and others not. It's disappointing when one of my boys doesn't want to wear their costume. Even more disappointing is when you slave over a costume and are thrilled by your handiwork, to later have it thrust at you, tears running down their face. Oh what heart break. Last year Liam had a melt down and refused to take part in any costume wearing. Boy was I thankful I hadn't made that costume, instead I had bought it at a 75% after Halloween sale the year before. So, as I think about what it is I'm going to do, to purchase? to make? and what it is they're going to be, here's a recap of the past years.......

Aidan 2 months old, baby chick, newly hatched.



Then there was this Lil' Mighty Viking (Aidan 14months), I made this one.


The year I was pregnant with the twins and on bed rest, we had to opt for an easy solution. The Dragon Sleeper, always a great option. Dual use, costume and jammy, gotta love that!

In 2007, it was all about the ocean... I made these costumes. Aidan loved it, the twins were not having it.


We had a starfish (Aidan had insisted he wanted to be a starfish that year)


One grumpy shark



And a lost Octopus who just couldn't find his way.

In 2008 we hit the jungle... This year they wore costumes I had purchased at deep discounts during after Halloween sale the year before.

A gallant zebra

The cutest monkey you ever did see.

And a fainthearted lion who wanted nothing to do with Halloween.

As I'm still mulling over what they'll be this year, I'd really like to ask them what they want to be but fear what they might come up with. Really I could hear it now, I want to be Thomas the train (Aidan), oh me, me, me, Percy (Miles with his mild stutter), a BULL DOZER, MAMA! (Liam shouting as usual). Well, I do hope the photos help you come up with some ideas. I enjoyed reminiscing.

2 comments:

  1. Wow --did you make those costumes?
    I noticed you are a crafter --and lots of other things as well --who knows maybe your star sign helps? I am also a Gemini --maybe that's why I want two websites?
    I have the following ideas for inspirational unique products like yours (charge/sell for as much as you like! -- as the web site will cater for ‘unique handmade crafted products like yours'.

    There must be an expensive end of the market for those ‘very rich moms’ who can’t make things like you do?
    I am slowly looking through 'design' blogs like yours and loving every minute of it.
    I started a company in the uk Send My Card which just does ordinary greeting cards, and now want a site which can have lots of cards and other products like yours, and where people like you can put all their fantastic individually designed and made products.
    When customers want something 'making, writing and posting' (like sendmycard) the order will come straight through to you and we will not take any commission or anything, we will be happy to have a site full of the most wonderful designs and products/cards -- and we will still sell some of our own to make an income for me.
    For costumes and other things like yours, we would add extra question boxes, e.g. height of child, boy or girl, maybe e.g. waist? I would leave this up to you to tell me.
    If no one buys anything it will only have cost the time to put it on my site, if someone does buy it, they will pay a proper price that reflects all the works you have done.
    I have managed to get a web name that I think will be OK: as lots of the cards and things are made by mums, I have got the name www.MumsCat.com
    I hope you think it is a good idea? and -- Can I contact you again when the site is running?
    As it is a .com, it can be used in the USA and lots of other countries.
    The site will have the dropdown boxes shown next to the cards so it will be very easy for people to place orders, see Hand made cards by Paula on SendMyCard.
    We will add another box 'Country' and then the site will highlight the products that can posted in that country, (customers in the USA may prefer to order from a crafter in the USA?) but people can also order from any country!
    As you can see with ‘handmade cards by Paula’, I have started this idea on my first web site but would now like to make a bigger USA/UK/Europe wide web site --especially for beautiful designs I am now finding
    I am now visiting similar blogs and websites, so you may see a similar comment appearing on all the nice blogs I find, some of which will be blogs you follow? I will to ask other similar people/designers to consider putting their products on my new site – in which case --- design work will start in a few weeks ***if I get perhaps ten people like yourself who like the idea?***

    Best Wishes.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny.!! Thanks for sharing the recap.. It seems that you always enjoy Halloween. That #2 costume is my favorite. I am too very excite for Halloween and planned to buy cute costumes from Costume Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online