Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What We Like Wednesdays: The Magic Schoolbus



Screen time, yes, I know a hot topic in many households. But I must say this, prior to screen time, there were many a burned dinners in this home. Many times I stepped away from my cooking to see what the ruckus was about, break up a scuffle, wipe away some tears, to return to a blackened meal, no I wasn't cooking Cajun. What I've found is that screen time is best while I do dinner prep unless of course they are engrossed in some sort of play before hand then I just don't interrupt and hope that it carries through til dinner is completed.

You're probably asking yourself right about now, "Why all this talk about screen time?" Well it's just that we have discovered, The Magic School Bus. We absolutely love them. I've always monitored what the kids watch and have tried to stick to educational, age appropriate DVDs. Well, The Magic School Bus is just that. The Magic School Bus revolves around a classroom of children who explore different subjects while in magic school bus. You can watch some videos here. Our favorite is the episode about the human body. Days after watching, while on our way to school, Aidan (5 yrs old) began to tell me about the function of white blood cells and differentiate red vs. white blood cells. When I asked him about where he had learned this, he responded with, "The Magic School Bus" I was amazed. So if my kids are going to have screen time so I can prepare dinner or sometimes take a shower, then I definitely want it to be of some educational value.

The other thing that's great about The Magic School Bus is they have books too. I was lucky enough to score a whole collection of these on EBay at a fabulous price. Although I was thrilled about the EBay score, Aidan was most thrilled about his new books. So if you're looking for some new reading material or videos for your kids, you may want to check these out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online