Saturday, October 24, 2009

Gluttony Games Not For Me

I really have a hard time with food related games. You know the kind, who can eat the most hot dogs, dumplings, pies etc. in a period of time. Or the kind they had today at our school event, eating a donut dangling from a string. I just find this to be completely wasteful and shameful behavior. With people starving all over the world and some in our own country, how can we think taking part in such activity is OK? I'm also disturbed about the message it sends our kids. That food here is in such abundance we can waste it engaging in repulsive games of just pure gluttony.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind of parent that makes their kids clean their plates and forces them to eat food they don't like so it's not wasted. I let them make food choices, but I do request that they try things, if they don't like it they don't have to eat it. I also encourage them not to waste food, in doing so, that also means not participating in food games.

My thoughts are this, especially now with food banks struggling to keep up with the current demands of people in need of a meal, we as a society should think twice about engaging in this kind of activity. But yet, we still seem to see it on reality TV shows, at county fairs and school events just to name a few. These are all public events that send the wrong message to our kids. How about teaching our kids to be thankful for the food we have and the access to so many choices, teaching them to share with those in need...not how many hot dogs can I possibly gorge myself with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online